Several months ago I contacted a poster on Craigslist that was looking for pieces of art for the group, Epica. The band was looking for artists from the cities along their tour, to create a piece of art inspired by Epica’s music. I have been thinking about ways to get my art out there, and this was a good opportunity to do so. I hadn’t heard of the group before so I had to look them up and get a feel for their music. I had a lot of different ideas, but I ended up painting this:
I struggled to get it dried on time and it was still a bit tacky when I brought it to the show. My mistake was choosing to use oils rather than acrylics. An oil painting should take 6-12 months to dry thoroughly and I had to complete it in less than a month. I don’t think I even started painting until maybe 2 weeks before the show date so I was asking for trouble. I blow dried the hell out of it, but that was barely making a dent. I researched online to see if anyone knew any techniques or sprays I could use to get the oil to dry faster. To make a long story short, I ended up baking it in the oven….probably not the best thing for the oven or the painting, but I got it dry enough so I could at least spray some varnish on it. Then I blow dried it some more and set it in front of a fan for a few hours, but like I said it was still a bit tacky.
I attended the Portland show and was able to get my painting signed by the band and had my picture taken with them.
The painting didn’t sell that night so, I had the option to either take it back or have it go on to the other shows on the tour. I decided to let it go on because I figured even if it doesn’t sell and I have to pay for it to get shipped back to me, there is the potential for some exposure.
To my surprise and satisfaction, it did sell. A guy in Ramona, California bought it (left) and here he’s posing with one of the group members, Mark Jansen (right).
The only part I’m not too happy about is the fact that I never really got a decent photo of it. I took some shots, but I couldn’t get the proper lighting and since the paint was still a bit glossy, I kept getting glares over large sections. On the plus side, I sold another piece of art and I’m getting my name out there, which is definitely a good thing.